Immigration Advice Centre Ltd

Specialists in Immigration and Asylum Law

LOGO back-blue

CONTACT US TODAY ON 01642 219222


Twitter square blue large Facebook square blue small Google + square red large

Marriage Visit Visa

Marriage/Civil Partnership Visit Visa


Anyone wishing to enter the UK for marriage must apply for a visa or entry clearance before travelling. Non-visa nationals are required to apply for a  visa before entering the UK for the purposes of marriage or to enter into a civil partnership. If you intend to settle in the UK after your marriage you will not be able to do so if you travel enter using a marriage visit visa. You will need to apply for a fiance visa. Please see our spouse visa page for further information. The visa will be issued for a period not exceeding six months and you may be required to provide evidence that you have made arrangements to marry in UK when you make your application.  


The requirements for a marriage/civil partnership visa are:  

  • you are 18 or over;

  • you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months;

  • you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;

  • you intend to get married or register a civil partnership during your visit;

  • you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;

  • you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and

  • you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).


You must also be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

  • take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;

  • do a course of study;

  • carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or

  • receive private medical treatment.


Current costs for visa applications can be found on the UK government website.


Getting Married in the UK


If you and your future husband, wife or civil partner are both in the UK but at least one of you is subject to immigration control, you will need to give notice to marry or register your civil partnership with a registrar at a 'designated office'. For more information please click here.


Since 9 May 2011, you do not need to obtain a Certificate of Approval before you marry or register your civil partnership.

If one or both of you are abroad


If either partner is not already in the UK, they will need to obtain a visa before they come to the UK to marry or register their civil partnership, unless they:


  • are a British citizen; or

  • are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or the family member of a national of the EEA who has the right of residence in the UK; or

  • have a certificate of entitlement in their passport, giving them the right to live in the UK; or

  • are not subject to immigration control.


If you require further assistance with a UK Visitor Visa application or appeal please contact us on 01642 219222 or email us at Telephone advice is charged at £15 per call and email advice is charged at £15 per email. Visit our email/telephone advice page for more information.