Immigration Advice Centre Ltd

Specialists in Immigration and Asylum Law

LOGO back-blue

CONTACT US TODAY ON 01642 219222


Twitter square blue large Facebook square blue small Google + square red large

Unmarried Partner Visa  

UK Unmarried Partner/Same Sex Partner Visa  


If you want to settle in the in the UK with your partner but have decided not to marry or are unable to marry you may be able to apply for a UK Unmarried Partner/Same Sex Partner Visa. Your partner must be a British Citizen or settled in the UK.  If you are outside of the UK you can apply for entry clearance to come and settle here with your partner. Your application can be dealt with in your home country at the British Embassy or British High Commission. If you are in the UK with leave for more than 6 months you may be able to "switch" or extend your stay as an unmarried or same sex partner of a person present and settled here.


The requirements that must be statisfied to qualify for the  UK spouse visa are:


  • Your husband, wife or civil partner must be settled in the UK or must be returning with you for settlement. Settled means that the person must have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or they must be a British Citizen;

  • You and your partner must both be be 18 years of age when you arrive in the UK or when you have been given leave to remain;

  • Any previous marriage or civil partnerships you or your partner were in have premanently broken down;

  • You are not related by blood;

  • You have been living together in a relationship akin to a marriage which has been existing and genuine (ie is not a marriage of convenience) for at least 2 years;

  • You both plan to live together permanently;

  • You can meet the English Language Requirements;

  • You can support yourself and any dependants without recource to public funds;

  • There will be adequate accomodation that you and your spouse/civil partner can occupy exclusively without recourse to public funds.

  • You  can meet the financial requirement, which means your sponsor  has an income of at least £18,600 per year and can      provide the required supporting evidence.


You will not be able to "switch" onto a UK Unmarried Partner Visa from within the UK if you have entered or remained in the UK in breach of immigration laws, if you married or entered into a civil partnership after a decision was taken to remove or deport you from the UK or you came to the UK as a visitor for 6 months or less.


Even if you meet all the requirements above you may still be refused entry to the UK under other parts of the UK Immigration Rules called "General Requirements". These will apply if you have an adverse immigration history, you have used false documents or lied on your application or you have failed to declare information in your application.


If you require further assistance with a UK Spouse Visa application or appeal please contact us on 01642 219222 or email us at There may be a charge for advice provided by email or telephone. Please see our email/telephone advice page for more details  



Family Visit Visa

Marriage Visa

Spouse Visa

Fiancé Visa

Unmarried Partner Visa

Dependant Relative Visa

Civil Partner Visa

Ancestry Visa





UK Visa Appeal

UK Asylum Appeal

Bail Application

Deportation Appeal

Human Rights Appeal

Appeal Fees Guide